Monday, November 25, 2013

November 25th 2013 - Update on the layout progress ...

Hello to all, once again ... It is Monday the 25th of November, and I have a 'rare' day off from the railway. I have a few errands to take care of and then I plan on devoting some time in the layout room this afternoon.

In the last post, I included some photos of what the 'original' Kelsey Bay switching area looked like. I will include some photos of what it currently looks like ...


I experimented with using a window screen material, with drywall joint compound as the 'base' scenery layer. I was pretty happy, with how this turned out ...


 I have painted the car barge 'basin' ... This would be dredged out to accommodate the tugboat and the car barge, so the color of the water might appear to be a bit different than the 'beach' area ...


More progress ... The tug is a model of the "Columbia", that works in and around Portland Oregon on the Columbia River ...

Another view of the car barge, car barge apron and the barge itself ... As one can see, the barge is still in 'mock up' stage ... should be a good winter weekend project, to scratch build a pair of car barges in the near future ...


This photo shows some of the track installed. To the left will be the Riverside lumbermill and woodchip loader. I have incorporated a short 3-car runaround (One can never have too many runarounds, in my opinion!) I might replace the 'wye' switch with a conventional switch. The flex track is Atlas Code 100 and the turnouts are Peco long radius turnouts ...

 
 What a mess! The finished product will be worth it ... hoping!


Here is a pullback spur to be used to switch the car barge. It will serve double duty, to service the bulk oil dealer ...


Interesting perspective shot ... The tugboat kit came with all of the necessary detail parts. I could paint it in CN colors ... or just paint it in Kootenay Western colors ... decisions - decisions !!

Another 'long' view of the Kelsey Bay area. Note the roadbed material, which will be a street, so that street running can be included ...

Hope you enjoyed looking at these photos!

No comments: